Another (History) Lesson For You (but it's interesting, I promise)!

Big news, guys- I PASSED MY FLUTE EXAM!!

If I can do it, you can do it too (so good luck to all those still waiting/practising).

In other news, however, have you seen the Google Doodle? Today marks the anniversary of Edith Carvell's birthday.

How was Edith Carvell?

I'm so glad that you asked (mostly because I'm proud of myself for knowing this- I read the Usborne History of Britain cover to cover multiple times when I was younger).

Edith Carvell was a British nurse who is remembered for saving the lives of soldiers during the First World War. She helped all, without discrimination, and even helped about two hundred Allied soldiers escape from German-occupied Belgium. She was eventually arrested and executed by firing squad.

What amazes me about this is the lack of discrimination. Even though she was probably terrified and it was dangerous, she helped anyone in need- even those who were on a different side to her.

We're revising 'A Christmas Carol' at the moment, having studied it properly last year, and one theme that I feel is incredibly important, especially nowadays, is compassion.

Edith Carvell showed incredible amounts of compassion and bravery and selflessness. In this world, I don't think that we show enough true compassion, or bravery, or selflessness. So, my challenge this Advent/Christmas is to show more compassion. More bravery. More selfless love to others.

Go on, I dare you.

Channel the spirit of Edith Carvell and help those in need, talk to a friend, help out your parents (but I'm not saying that you should go and put yourself in life-threatening situations).

As Dada Vaswani said, "True love is selfless. It is prepared to sacrifice."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carers Week

Steam trains move slowly but surely

Do You Think That Dragons Would Like Campervans?