Living In A World Where Owning A House Is A Pipe Dream

So I'm watching this program on BBC iPlayer called Generation, which is a documentary by George Lamb, and it's all about youth and politics and lack of opportunities for youth and the need for social change.

One guy said that his ambitions are to own a house and have a decent job. And that will make him happy.

That shouldn't be the expectation for kids these days. The fact that housing costs so much that actually owning a house seems to be a pipe dream is stupid, and just wanting a job that means the bills can be paid is ridiculous.

I do realise that I come from a family where we are expected to go to university and that I live in a pretty wealthy area, but I feel that I can comment on these things.

Buying a house seems impossible, owning a car/paying for insurance is not going to happen, and I'll be paying off university loans for the rest of my life.

I do have dreams, ambitions. I am (most likely) going to university and get a job that I love (because no one should be stuck in a job for necessity) but the thought of the future doesn't exactly fill me with happiness and joy. 

Something needs to change.

My generation does not deserve to live in a world where if you are born poor, you stay poor. There should be equal opportunities available for everyone, no matter race or gender or religion or class (especially as class is a thing that we've dragged out kicking and screaming from the past- the modern world has no need for a class system).

Generation Z (this is considered to be my generation, for those of you who don't know), we are going to change all this. I believe that when we grow up we will fight for change because we have watched the generation before us go through this.

Social change needs to happen, and soon. As Gandhi said, "You must be the change you want to see in the world".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carers Week

Steam trains move slowly but surely

Do You Think That Dragons Would Like Campervans?