Join Me On A Rebellion Against Stifling Creativity (We'll Get Matching Wristbands)

Hi, guys- excellent news, I have!

My novel has been finished completely (i.e. everything has been crossed off my to-do list) and it's ready to be released on the 15th December!

That's 15th December, folks!

Soon, I'll be releasing an extract on Wattpad, so make sure that you've subscribed to 'Musings of a Perfectionist' to get notified when I publish posts.

My dream is finally coming true, although it now feels like publishing a book isn't actually that big of a deal.

Is that weird?

Oh well. *shrugs* Maybe it will be less underwhelming once I've actually published it (although it won't be published through Amazon because I don't have a TIN (because I'm not American) and I don't have a foreign version of the TIN, but that should be sorted out...hopefully).

Anyway, to change the subject completely, I ran a Creative Writing session with four younger people from school the other day.

We did some exercises in freeing the mind, which made me feel as if I was leading a revolt against the way creativity is stifled in schools. As in, we're told how to write answers to everything- nothing can just come out of your mind, it has to stick to formulas.

To be honest, that's just boring.

One of the harder activities was hard, not just because you had to be creative rather than stick to a formula, but because you had to play with the sound and texture of words rather than the actual meaning of the word.

Basically, we wrote poetry.

You have to start with the first word that comes into your head, then write a completely unconnected word that sounds like it fits.

And then you just keep writing, breaking the line when it feels/sounds right, and not using punctuation.

Here's my attempt:

Crash chair goes flying like
a bird wetting its wings for the
first time
when orange bulbs bloom
your heart skips a beat and
ships sail away
into the blue green foamy mouth
of forever

See?

Playing with words is fun. You get to play with onomatopoeias, with repetition, with alliteration, with rhyme.

It's freeing.

So yeah, come and join the rebellion.

There's cake. 😄

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carers Week

Steam trains move slowly but surely

Do You Think That Dragons Would Like Campervans?