Smile: You're Amazing

So yesterday was International Women's Day (also known as 'When's International Men's Day' Day) and also my friend's birthday (shout out to you, you amazing human being!), and I was going to write something about it...

But obviously, I didn't.

Sorry about that. In my defence, I have just had a week of mocks (nine in five days!) and so, when I got home, I sat and watched three episodes of Bones and drank a cup of tea.

And so this is my International Women's post, only a day late.

First off, I'd like to say thank you to all those women in my life who have inspired me- my friends, my sisters, and mostly my mum. You're all wonderful, and don't let anyone tell you differently. (I was going to use an exclamation point here, but I've already used one this post and I have this thing about exclamation points...perhaps another time I will explain)

This post is mostly about different body types and body positivity, as it's something that I've had saved as a draft/idea for a while now. As a history nerd, 'ideal' body shapes are fairly interesting, as the way people dressed in a particular time tell a lot about it. For example, in the early Tudor era, women's clothing gave them a triangular shape.

But there are loads of types of body shape, and even in each category, people are different. I think that's something that people tend to forget- we are all different. It doesn't matter if you're an apple or a pear or an hourglass because we are all unique (even though, surely, that makes us not unique, if we all are, but that's not where I'm trying to go with this, so disregard).

Just because everyone seems to think that an hourglass figure is the best doesn't mean that someone with an hourglass figure is in any way better than someone with an apple figure, or a ruler. The most important thing is finding clothing styles that make YOU feel beautiful.

The media paints perfect women to look a particular way, so no wonder girls and women feel dissatisfied with their bodies. As an article that I found from the Telegraph said, "There are millions of women who spend too much time self-loathing, because we teach girls to be ashamed of their bodies".

Why?

Why does society do this?

And it's not just teens and older anymore. The Girls' Attitudes Survey 2016 carried out by Girlguiding found that more than one in six girls aged between seven and ten years old quite often feel embarrassed or ashamed about how they look. Seven to ten year old girls shouldn't be worried about the way they look. I help at Brownies, and I don't want any of them to ever feel stupid or ugly or ashamed.

Childline says that you'll feel happier if you accept things about yourself. Accepting yourself means noticing things you are happy and unhappy about and seeing that they are all part of what makes you unique.

And stop focusing on what's outside, too. All the women that I know are intelligent and have their own talents and likes and dislikes and personalities: that is something that makes us different as well, and people need to remember that we're not just made up of what we look like.

So smile, because you're beautiful and you're loved. And because the president of Russia is an idiot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carers Week

Steam trains move slowly but surely

Do You Think That Dragons Would Like Campervans?