I Am The Token Physicist

Evening all! Happy Day 12 of NaNo- I'm only about 1000 words out of my goal, so it's going surprisingly well so far. I do have assessment week next week at school, however, so I guess that we'll see how that goes.

I have had a truly exciting today- if you are considering doing IB, this will definitely be a part of your life as well, so pay attention (and pay attention anyway, because I lead a very interesting life, obviously). Today, I did a Group 4 Project Day. If you have no idea what this is, I will inform you: when doing IB, there are six groups, and you choose a subject from each (apart from Group 6, where you can either choose a subject or do another Group 2/3/4). Group 4 is Sciences, so maybe you can guess what sorts of things I did today?

You're correct, I stood outside in the cold and the rain!

For about an hour. What we had to do was plan and carry out a simple experiment on this massive field near(ish) our school. We were put into groups so that there was a representative from each science, as if we were actual adult scientists collaborating. I was the token physicist of our group (the others are biologists, chemists, and nature of scientists). We were being 'examined' on our ability to work well in a group, which we, of course, passed with flying colours. Our experiment was recording the CO2 levels at varying distances from the road- obviously, our hypothesis was that CO2 levels would decrease as the distance from the road increased. This was all fine, until we got to the field and it started raining. We dug the sticks into the group at 10m intervals (luckily no paths came up) and then began our data collection.

It was so very cold, I tell you. I could not feel my feet or my hands when we finally finished, but we had data that kind of proved our hypothesis (later proved even further with my beautiful graph drawing skills). After lunch, we just had to make a poster (ours was very artistic and beautiful) with the hypothesis, equipment (which I kept calling the ingredients, after too much food coursework last year), the method, table of results, graph, conclusion, and evaluation.

But the fun was not over here! Then we had to share this poster with another group THEN fill in a google form with a little reflection about how well we each worked in our groups. Yay.

However, I did get home earlier than I would normally, so that was a bonus. And setting out everything neatly on a poster makes me happy as well.

Hopefully, my next post will not be too long in the making- I have an idea/plan, courtesy of my mother's prompting and my church's youth group project, so I will write that at some point and maybe get it posted next weekend? Tomorrow, I'm meeting a friend for lunch so that'll be fun (make sure, everyone, that you make time for your friends after you all split up after secondary school).

Au revoir! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carers Week

Steam trains move slowly but surely

Do You Think That Dragons Would Like Campervans?