A Rhetorical Question for You Today: What Makes a Good Book?

Hi, and I'm here again, ready to grace your laptop/phone/other device screens for however long it takes you to read this post!

Well, it's been pretty warm recently, hasn't it? Today promises to be warm and then tomorrow... eugh it'll be too hot for me and I won't want to do anything apart from sit on the cold floor in our dining room.

But the weather is not a particularly interesting topic (even if I am British) and so, have no fear, I am here to talk about something different. There is actually something interesting that I read in the book I'm currently reading (The Tiger by John Vaillant, because I love tigers and it's been sitting on my shelf for ages and I'm doing this thing where I read all the books on my bookshelves) and I kinda wanted to talk about that BUT I don't really have to attention span at the moment and it probably needs a bit more research/thought than this randomly generated blog post.

Also. I'm a bit busy with the whole Maths coursework thing (which is going fairly well, I think, although yesterday my head exploded a bit as I was multiplying out quaternions and the letters started blurring together).

So I thought that I'd do a little update about what's going on in Lara's life at the moment! 

Firstly, I have now finished binging all the seasons of Call the Midwife (that I started a few weeks into lockdown I think) and I am looking forward to the Christmas special (if there is one) although every episode makes me cry and the Christmas ones always make me cry more. But I would recommend! I didn't think that I'd enjoy it but we watched a couple of episodes for English and then I went back and started from Season 1 and I now love it. The social history of London and England and the world, with changing views on science vs religion, feminism, life, death, and other topics that I did not expect to be addressed. Anyway. I would recommend watching it if you're at that stage in which you have no idea what to do because you've watched everything there is to watch on Netflix. Or if you just want to watch something.

As well as watching TV and doing school work, I've (obviously) listened to Taylor Swift's new album and the new releases from Lawson so that's cool. Reading-wise, I'm currently reading The Tiger, but before that, I was reading War and Peace. I have a poster with a bucket list of 100 books to read, of which I'd read 19 (including Count of Monte Cristo unfortunately) and War and Peace is on that list, as well as many other lists, so I decided to read it. I have a copy from a charity shop (hardback and it is so heavy oh my goodness) and went into reading it with trepidation. I'd seen the BBC version with Lily James and had enjoyed it, but I also knew that many 'must read!' books are not actually that good and are only on said lists because old snotty people think that a good book = pretentious and long and boring (and mostly male-orientated) (also I am definitely looking at you, Count of Monte Cristo). 

But I really enjoyed War and Peace! It was really good! Yes, it was long, and I couldn't name all of the lesser characters, but it was also funny and interesting and there was a lot of comments on the nature of history and the nature of people and I actually liked it so much that it's on my own list of 100 books to read.

Which I am creating as a sort of protest against what people think books-to-read should be. There are books that are on other lists, such as Harry Potter and War and Peace and Pride and Prejudice but also YA books that I think every adult should also read and non-fiction books and poetry anthologies. Because, as I said, a good book DOES NOT EQUAL a pretentious book, and really, who can be bothered to read pretentious books? (Apart from me because I want to be able to shut down any arguments for why Count of Monte Cristo certain books should be on to-read lists).

Ooooh, and I'll finish by sharing some origami with you as well, although the flowers are not actually origami because I had to use scissors and glue, but the vase was a lot easier than I had expected and the whole thing looks really pretty so voila: 


And also I made a Da Vinci bridge, which was hard only because my arms hurt from having to keep the pressure on it so that I could weave it all together but I was very impressed with my efforts and did not want to collapse it :(
   
 

Look at me, being all crafty and stuff! Anyway, I better get back to my Maths so au revoir my dear readers; live the day that you deserve today :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carers Week

Steam trains move slowly but surely

Do You Think That Dragons Would Like Campervans?