Warning: If You Don't Like Blood, Stay Away (But Only For The Second Half of the Post)

Good afternoon, all, and what a finely cold day it is! I am actually fairly surprised that I can type this well as I have not been able to feel my hands for about 2 hours now (although I did spend those two hours making flashcards for Physics, so there may be something there about what physics does to someone...).

News about NaNo: I wrote 5494 words yesterday (woah) and I am now back on track! I will fall behind once again this week, most likely, but I know now that I can do it. :) I am very happy about this (don't know if you could tell).

So here is a thing that I wrote a few days ago about doing IB compared to doing A-Levels (but it's not the thing that the IB teachers tell you about how IB is better because it makes you more well-rounded and stuff).

The thing that I have noticed about the difference between my A-Level doing friends and me (the IB person) is that they are so easily throwing around what grades they are getting and what they need to get. You can see why: it is so very easy to simply say that you got a B in this class, or that to go to this university to do this course you need A/A/B. For IB, this is very different. We get a mark out of 7 for each of our subjects, plus a maximum of 3 marks for the ToK essay/presentation and our Extended Essay. This gives us a cumulative score (max is 45 points). This makes it hard enough because you are having to constantly be adding scores in your head and also the points don't really match up with grades, but also it is so much harder for universities. For example, the course that I want to do: at York Unversity, you need at least 36 points, with 6 points in all of your higher subjects.

So much harder to say/explain, isn't it? Maybe that is why everyone has to do maths, so that we can all count up scores and things in our heads as we go. So well done to my friends already getting A's and A*'s on their essays/work- I got a 6 on a history essay, so I'm sure that it matches up somehow (do not take my word on this; I am not sure at all).

Final bit of news before the blood warning kicks in (I mean, it is literally just a list of the interesting times I had a nosebleed because I don't have them quite as regularly as I used to (THANK GOODNESS) and I thought that it would be funny to list out some of the more memorable ones). Anyway, we had our presentation evening at my Secondary School two weeks ago which was slow and fairly boring. If you don't know, presentation evening is when you can collect your GCSE certificates in front of parents- it contained a speech from the headmaster, actual collection of certificates, people awkwardly being awarded various awards for subjects and other things, then a speech from some other guy you used to go to my school.

It was very warm and we were all far too close to each other- luckily I was sitting with two of my friends so we could whisper to each other throughout the evening and make each other laugh. It was also very awkward to get out because all the chairs were so close to each other (I said that we should have crowd-surfed when we had to collect an award, but strangely that wasn't taken up). I did win a prize/collect a book for the subject of English Literature (it was '1000 books to read before you die' and I have read 35 of them, although I'm currently working on number 36). But that was what happened a few weeks ago- I'd go to your own one, if only to see some of the teachers and talk to old classmates again (don't worry, I am happy that I won the Lit book).

BUT this is where the warning for blood begins!

Again, this is about nosebleeds; I am not a vampire.

Even if I do hiss in bright light.

Here is my list of some of the 'best' nosebleeds that I have had. 'Best' being the ones that were in weirdish places, mostly, or that have good stories behind them.

1) The One When I Went Into Shock- two hours of having a nosebleed isn't fun, especially when I was trying to do Biology revision with my mum. Apparently, she knew when I went into shock because my answers made no sense. Then she tried to make me drink sweet tea which was disgusting and I am never trusting anyone to make me tea ever again.

2) The One During An Exam- basically, I have nosebleeds when I've very stressed. I was very stressed about my practical exam for food (find the full story here) and therefore there was a nosebleed. Actually, there were many nosebleeds in the week leading up to my exam (about ten in five days?).
Yay.

3) The One(s) Caused By Spicy Food- eating a delicious curry is not improved when your nose starts bleeding, let me tell you. Mostly because your curry ends up going cold and then your sister eats all the leftovers because you're behind on eating.
Also, I was watching a film with my sister one time and my nose starting bleeding and she wouldn't pause the film!! I had to pause it with my hand over my nose before running out of the room to grab a bowl and some tissues.
Love you, sis. Thank you for laughing at me.

4) The One In A Swimming Pool- honestly this one looked like I'd just drained someone's blood because the water made the blood go all down my chin and on my arms and it was not fun. I think it was caused by the pressure of going underwater, but what was worse is that after I'd climbed back in, I wasn't allowed to put my head back under. Swimming old-lady style really hurts your back and shoulders.
Although the best bit was probably my friend's reaction when I told them, as it was not "oh no, that sounds awful, are you okay" it was "have your parents installed a pool in your garden".
They have not.
She was sad.

5) The One After The Minor Breakdown- everything (exams etc) got a bit much the day before Chemistry Paper 2 because I honestly thought that I knew nothing (I didn't do too badly in the end, I hope though). Anyway, I tend to get nosebleeds also after crying, so after I'd had my little cry about Chemistry and my fear of failure, my nose started bleeding.
I guess it didn't want to feel left out?

6) The One On Camp- I ran a Rangers camp (Girlguiding) for my Camp Permit. For some reason, I believed that it was a good idea to plan and run this camp whilst doing my GCSEs. Anyway, I was very stressed about it and had a 'little' cry, because when I'm overwhelmed I just cry.
I suppose it's a better coping strategy than eating or doing drugs.
But it does lead to some pretty major nosebleeds.
What fun.
The rest of the camp went great, however, so there was nothing really to cry about.

7) The One Whilst Playing Flute- I was having a flute lesson, just playing my piece of music with all the happiness that I could muster up on a Monday morning when I paused and wiped at my nose- guess what? It was bleeding! My teacher asked me if I was alright and sat me down when I said that I was fine, just having a nosebleed.
People get quite worried about my nose bleeding, but I guess after having so many, it's hard to be worried.

8) The One In Creative Writing- we were all talking in this fine club and the teacher was making a really good point when blood dripped out of my nose and landed on the desk that I was sitting at. I had to stand up and announce that I had a nosebleed, which made him stop talking, before running down the corridor to the toilets to find a tissue.
Great fun, I promise. Would 10/10 recommend.


And this is the end of my list! As I said before, I have not had a nosebleed for a long time (and hopefully never again!) so this is the end (queue Adele).

Have a great week everyone and remember this wonderful advice- don't forget to bring a pack of tissues with you wherever you go, for you never know if you or someone else may need to use them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carers Week

Steam trains move slowly but surely

Do You Think That Dragons Would Like Campervans?